The Med Tech certification course provides students with 6 hours of training regarding safe assistance to safely administer medications in an Assisted Living Facility (ALF).
The Med-Tech class at Ruby’s Academy for Health Occupations is taught by a Registered Nurse. Our curriculum focuses on the six rights of medication administration and the regulations surrounding prescription medications that include the following:
- State law and rule requirements with respect to the supervision, assistance, administration, and management of medications in assisted living facilities;
- Procedures and techniques for assisting the resident with self-administration of medication including how to read a prescription label;
- Providing the right medications to the right resident;
- Common medications;
- The importance of taking medications as prescribed;
- Recognition of side effects and adverse reactions and procedures to follow when residents appear to be experiencing side effects and adverse reactions;
- Documentation and record keeping; and
- Medication storage and disposal.
Training also includes demonstrations of proper techniques through hands on learning and practice exercises.
After successful completion of the certification course, you will be prepared to:
- Understand a prescription label
- Provide assistance with self-administration in accordance with Section 429.256, F.S., and Rule 58A-5.0185, F.A.C.
- Assist with oral dosage forms; topical dosage forms; and topical ophthalmic, otic, and nasal dosage forms;
- Measure liquid medications, break scored tablets, and crush tablets in accordance with prescription directions;
- Recognize the need to obtain clarification of an “as needed” prescription order;
- Recognize a medication order which requires judgment or discretion, and to advise the resident, resident’s health care provider or facility employer of his or her inability to assist in the administration of such orders;
- Complete a medication observation record (MOR);
- Retrieve and store medication; and
- Recognize the general signs of adverse reactions to medications and report such reactions.
Once the course has been completed successfully, you will receive your 4 hour Med Tech certification which is valid for twelve months (1 year) from the date of your course completion date.